Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Gingerbread cookies

 I have yet to find the perfect gingerbread cookie recipe.  It is driving me crazy. My first attempt this year yielded a dry and crumbly “dough.” This was Alex’s recipe from forever ago. I had tried it once in the past but forgot what adjustments I made to make it workable. This time, it would not form and I ended up throwing it away. This was after I let it sit and let it hydrate, I added water to see if that would work.... It smelled lovely through. 

*went back and read an old blog post and apparently Alex’s recipe never worked for me. https://mmmpork.blogspot.com/2010/12/you-cant-catch-me.html

Second round was this week. I tried the King Arther gingerbread cookie recipe. The dough came together very nicely. Instead of dirtying a pot, I put everything in a microwaveable bowl and melted the butter using the microwave. I changed around some the spices to match the ratio of the first recipe. As with all the warnings plastered all over the reviews and recipe, the dough was incredibly sticky even after a night in the freezer. The cookies are soft and addictive, especially after some royal icing. I just need to find a recipe where the cookie is just as tasty, but the dough is easier to work with during the rolling process. https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/gingerbread-cookies-recipe


Since the dough was so difficult to work, I rolled little balls and made thumbprint cookies.  Wetting my finger tips helped reduce sticking when pressing down the cookies.




No comments: