Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Jaded? A little bit...

Chef Matt lent me yet another book! This one is by Anthony Bourdain, who I think is absolutely hilarious in his expression of misery. The first couple pages already had me busting out laughing like a crazy on the Metro today. I look forward to the rest of the book.
IMG_0187
Chef Cirello (of the Art Institute) mentioned her dislike of that book and instead recommended the book about Mario Batali called "Heat," which will be my next pleasure reading conquest.

So, after the disappointing chocolate cake experience I had yesterday, I was very reluctant to try the cake at the POV Terrace. Chef Matt egged me on to try it...and boy am I glad I did! It was soooooo good! The warm dark chocolately interior just oozed out of the delicate cake. Then paired with creamy vanilla ice cream. This was the best dish I've had off of Jean George's menu thus far. I also learned that he was credited with inventing the molten chocolate cake dish in 1987. No wonder it was so perfect (oh, that's a Kulfi dessert in the back, haven't tried that one yet).
IMG_0185

I found the recipe at Martha Stewart's page:

Ingredients

Makes 4 individual cakes
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for molds
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting molds
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, preferably Valrhona
2 large whole eggs
2 large egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar

Directions

1. Butter and lightly flour four 4-ounce molds, ramekins, or custard cups. Tap out excess flour; butter and flour them again, and set aside.
2. In the top of a double boiler or heat-proof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, combine butter and chocolate; heat until chocolate has almost completely melted.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together eggs, yolks, and sugar until light and thick.
4. Add melted chocolate mixture, and beat to combine. Quickly beat in flour until just combined. Divide batter evenly among the molds.
5. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place filled molds on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake until the sides have set but the centers remain soft, 6 to 7 minutes.
6. Invert each mold onto a plate, and let rest 10 seconds. Unmold by lifting up one corner of the mold; the cake will fall out onto the plate. Serve immediately.

No comments: